This weekend we celebrate our fathers, without them we would not be here. They have taught us life lessons from the day we entered the world. I know relationships with our fathers might not have been the best every day, but I would like to honor the father's in all of our lives, biological or not. I have put together the top 6 power foods to maintain health for all the fathers. I have also included a recipe for Salmon Tacos that you can make for your father on Sunday.
1. Pumpkin seeds - contain protein, essential minerals (including iron, zinc, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, copper and potassium) along with omega 3 and omega 6. The pumpkin seed contains key phyotonutrients for the prostate.
2. Lycopene - found in tomatoes is a powerful antioxidant and is a wonderful food for the prostate.
3. Lean proteins - make sure you are getting organic, grass feed, grass finished meats. Our bodies need 1.2g of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. Lean proteins are a good source of essential amino acids.
4. Dark green leafy veggies - are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Having regular bowel movements help to lower our risk of colon cancer.
5. Omegas - Omega 3 found in cold water fish help with cell membrane fluidity, decrease inflammation, help with brain function, and helps with cardiovascular disease prevention and cancer prevention.
6. Water - our bodies are 70-75% water, water helps clean out toxins, move nutrients into and out of cells and keeps us hydrated. I recommend that you drink ½ your body weight in oz of water per day.
- 12 ounce wild salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- Coarse-grained sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 corn tortilla
- Organic cherry Tomatoes quartered
- Organic purple and green cabbage thinly sliced
- Thinly sliced organic red and green onion
- Chopped organic cilantro leaves
- 2 organic limes quartered
- Shredded organic cheese
- Avocado peeled, halved and sliced
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Season salmon with salt and pepper. Place salmon, skin side down, on a glass oven-proof dish. Bake until salmon is cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Allow people to make their own tacos with the salmon and the garnishes.
Happy Father's Day Dad!