When compared with apples, bananas have four times the protein, twice the carbohydrates, three times the phosphorus, and five times the Vitamin A and Iron. We all know that bananas are rich in potassium. Here are 10 fun facts about Bananas and their natural healing power. Make bananas a part of your everyday, today!
1. Energy Boost: Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.
2. PMS: Forget pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood and help to support healthy hormones.
3. Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood. However, the iron level in bananas is not going to be enough if your iron levels are super low.
4. Depression: For people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana, as they contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier. Bananas also can help with Seasonal Affective Disorder.
5. Blood Pressure: Bananas are high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. The US Food and Drug Administration recently just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruits ability to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
6. Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana peel. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.
7. Ulcers and Heartburn: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
8. Stress: When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. Potassium helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance.
9. Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!
10. Warts: Take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with tape and watch your wart go way! Hey, it's better than Duct Tape.
BONUS: Shoe Polish - want a quick shine on your shoes? Take the inside of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe. Finish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit!